- Case Studies
If you work in education, chances are you’ve heard the term “MUGA” being thrown around. It’s true, the elusive acronym is troubling teachers all over Britain. Enter us - savers-of-the-day, teachers of teachers, synthetic turf gurus - to tell you, the people, what a MUGA actually is.
MUGA stands for Multi Use Games Area. They’re made from artificial grass surfacing and incorporate the different turf types and pitch markings needed to accommodate a number of sports, right there in one place.
A MUGA can be designed for pretty much any sport you can think of:
Oh, and training and games, too.
MUGAs are designed to help schools make the most of limited space and budgets. The idea is that, instead of having multiple pitches, costing more money and requiring more time for installation, schools can enjoy different sports using just one surface.
STM MUGAs are made from the highest quality artificial turf available, produced here in the UK by our world leading manufacturers. Plus, we make our MUGAs out of multi-coloured turf, rather than plain old green. We think it helps clearly define which sports are which and, well, looks better too!
First of all, we talk with the school we’re working with until the cows come home. We really get to know each and every individual customer; their needs, their ideas and their goals. Then we get our top notch, high experience CAD designers on the job to draw up some blue prints. If the school likes what they see, we get to making it. If not, we talk some more.
A Multi-Use Games Area, or MUGA as it is more commonly known, offers a versatile outdoor space which is suitable for numerous sports.
These facilities are typically best suited to organisations that have a number of people wishing to train or play together at the same time - examples of these include schools, district councils/local authorities and sports clubs.
A MUGA is built in a way which allows them to be used for multiple sports, without causing too much damage to the surface when different events are taking place at the same time.
The act of installing synthetic MUGA surfaces has become increasingly popular in recent years due to their range of benefits:
- They provide a consistent playing surface that allows for safe training and match play.
- All our MUGA surfaces are suitable for numerous sports, allowing you to run several activities at once without causing any damage to the surface.
- We offer full maintenance packages which include repairs as well as general upkeep of your synthetic pitch at an affordable rate.
- Our MUGA surfacing & 3G turf pitches are especially versatile, which allow you to play several sports on it at once.
If you are interested in having a 3G MUGA installed for your facility or club, then make sure to take a look at our synthetic football pitch costs. We can help you with any artificial sports pitch, no matter what your budget is, don't hesitate to get in touch with us today!
We also have a really handy tool to help schools get to grips with their MUGA. Our pitch builder let’s you build your own virtual pitch from your own home (or school!). Go through the different steps, then submit your masterpiece and we’ll get in touch with you.
We hope this blog post has cleared up the mystery of the MUGA. If you’re interested in talking more MUGA stuff - we’d love to hear from you!
MUGA surfaces are built with multiple activities in mind, so they can be used by different teams or players without causing too much damage to the surface. Sports turf construction is one example of these multifunctional pitches, which allow fields to play more than one sport at once.
Multi Use Games Areas are becoming an increasingly popular choice in UK schools, local authorities and sports clubs. Our customers have three choices when it comes to selecting the right MUGA surface for their facility:
1. Rubber Crumb - Made from recycled rubber tyres, this is a cost-effective solution that produces a consistent playing surface. Rubber crumb infill is the most popular and versatile of all artificial sports surfaces, having a consistency in performance and feel throughout the range.
2. Silica Sand - A great choice for customers looking for a slightly firmer playing surface, while still offering outstanding shock absorption. The sand version also provides more grip on our 3G Synthetic Grass.
3. Rubber Infill - This solution is for the customer who requires the ultimate in shock-absorption and consistency of performance, while also having a surface with exceptional ball roll qualities.
If you are looking to purchase a MUGA sports pitch through Synthetic Turf Management, then contact us today to book your FREE site inspection and quotation.
We understand the design and construction of your pitch/court is vital. We can help you optimise your space with an extensive array of options for size, colour, markings, fencing & lighting and gate positions. We’ll guide you through the process of designing your turf, so that you can visualise your pitch/court before its construction.
Try our free pitch builder, or give us a call to talk to one of our experts.